[nylug-talk] Incorporation update.

Ruben Safir ruben at mrbrklyn.com
Sat Dec 3 17:39:45 EST 2011

On Sat, Dec 03, 2011 at 07:48:47AM -0500, Sumana Harihareswara wrote:
> Brian Gupta wrote:
>
> > > We would like to hold a special meeting during one of the biweekly
> > > NYLUG Workshops (tentatively Dec. 6th) to review any questions people
> > > have. In the meantime, please feel free to email questions to
> > > info at nylug.org ahead of this meeting.
>
> I am a NYLUG sometimes-attendee who's absolutely fine with this.  I
> think it's fine to sometimes discuss stuff face-to-face rather than via
> email, as long as people have an opportunity to ask questions via email
> ahead of time, and as long as good notes get taken and circulated soon
> afterwards.
>
> Also, I find it reasonable that people sometimes don't reply to every
> single email in a thread, take more time to compose replies, add
> in-person or one-on-one discussion to their repertoire of communication
> media, and so on.  I do not think these choices reduce the
> correspondent's credibility, and I raise my eyebrows at people who
> pointed to these choices as evidence of conspiracy or opacity.  I see no
> reason to assume bad faith of Brian Gupta, Peter Norton, or other people
> who are suggesting the incorporation of NYLUG.  They may be on the wrong
> track or the right track pragmatically, but that's a separate issue; I'm
> glad that we're now seeing more substantive discussion of the pros and
> cons of incorporating NYLUG.

Deja Vue all over again.  I finally understand why mankind has been
plagued by war throughout its entire history.  Even when one generation
learns something, the next one have to learn it all over again.  It
amazes me we ever expanded out of a hunter gatherer culture.

Anyway, no doubt that Richard Nixon would agree with you, but the rest of us
consider the need secrecy in this kind ofsituation as being VERY
questionable.  Does NYLUG have a secret Nukes project that it is trying
to develop?

In any event, there is a BIG problem, as I understand how things are
currently.  There was a rush to incorperate and the incorperation papers
basically limit voting to a small group of people and one one else.

IN ADDITION, from the conversations I've had with different parties,
all who seem to not agree on ANYHTING, only agree that the current mindset
will be a very limited definition of "Voting Member" within NYLUG, which is
***EXACTLY*** the problem NYLUG has had since day one and which has
brought the organization to its political knees, with a ton of bruised
egos and deep seated concerns from people who have alway thought
themselves as NYLUG members.

It sucks.

I assume the meeting to discuss this in person is on Tuesday evening?

I suggest that the formal conversations over the charter happen after at
the Olive Branch on McDouugal Street over Salads and Coffees

I suggest that the people who can currently vote in the NYLUG chater
bring a copy of the charter and a big fat black magic marker.  I suggest
you work from Rogers Rules of Order, and I personally would recommend
that you let Michael Ruchardson chair the meeting, because Mike has a
great talent for keeping people cool and smiling...and judging things by
the rule book....if he'd be willing to do this.

Ruben