[nylug-announce] NYLUG Presents: 9/13 @ 6:30PM Hannah Aizenman on Intro on Using Python for Big Data

NYLUG Announcements info at nylug.org
Tue Sep 4 16:12:40 EDT 2012

Thursday, September 13, 2012
6:30 PM - 8:00 PM
Chelsea Market Office
75 Ninth Ave, 2nd Floor
NY, NY 10011
*** RSVP Closes at 12:00 PM the day of the meeting (sharp!) ***
Please RSVP for EVERY meeting at this time.
Register at http://rsvp.nylug.org/ or http://www.meetup.com/nylug-meetings/

                              Hannah Aizenman
                                   - on -
			Intro on Using Python for Big Data

An overview of the Python scientific computing stack, with a focus on
working with very large datasets.  I'll try to introduce the most widely
used libraries for scientific computing, Numpy and Scipy, discuss
techniques for using them with big data, and touch on some of the machine
learning techniques (and possibly libraries) for reducing large data into
something manageable.  Then I'll go over how to make some of the most
common data visualization tasks (plotting a time-series or mapped data
using matplotlib) dynamic and web-based.

More Information:

  * SciPy
    http://www.scipy.org/

  * matplotlib
    http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/

About Hannah Aizenman:
Hannah Aizenman is working on a PhD in Computer Science at The Graduate
Center, CUNY.  Her research is in using machine learning to make sense of
and visualize large, mostly climate, datasets, and she's spent the past two
summers writing related web apps.  Hannah's also a sometime NYLUG
workshop/hacking society coordinator.

Meeting Location:
    Please note that this meeting will be held at Google Chelsea Market Office
    at 75 Ninth Ave, 2nd Floor, NY, NY 10011.
    You must RSVP for this meeting at http://rsvp.nylug.org or http://www.meetup.com/nylug-meetings

Map:
  http://g.co/maps/ngctb

Swag (Give Away):
  During/after the meeting... unusually terrific swag may be given
  away.

Stammtisch:
  After the meeting ... You may wish to join up with other NYLUGgers
  for drinks and pub food.  This month we are trying McKennas Pub at
  250 West 14th Street.
  http://g.co/maps/ghbkk

Coding Workshops/Hacking Society:
  This is a group of people that wants to learn about and work on coding
  in Python, Smalltalk, Ruby, C++, LaTeX, and other languages, and hack on code.
  There will also be help given for those who wish to install Linux for the
  first time.
  Hardware hacking projects are also welcome, and we can also teach people
  the basics of hacking with Arduino and other open source hardware.
  Sometimes they go out to eat afterward.

  Bring something to show off and discuss!

  The workshops meet every other Tuesday, at the NY Public Library,
  Hudson Park Branch.  66 Leroy St. NY NY from 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
  Next meetings are September 11, and September 25.
  See the calendar at: http://nylug.org/hackcalendar

Please see our home page at http://www.nylug.org for the HTMLized
version of this announcement, our archives, and a lot of other good
stuff.