[nylug-announce] [Fwd: Participate in DebConf10, the Debian Conference in NYC (first time in USA!)]

NYLUG Announcements info at nylug.org
Sat Jun 12 11:38:52 EDT 2010

-------- Original Message --------

Hello,

The DebConf10 local team would like to invite you to participate in the
upcoming Debian Conference which will take place from August 1 to 7,
2010, at Columbia University, in New York City, USA, in cooperation with
the Columbia Computer Science department. In DebConf's eleven-year
history, this will be the first time it is being held in the United
States of America.

More information here: http://debconf10.debconf.org/

Every year, DebConf allows new and existing Debian project participants
from around the world to assemble, share knowledge and ideas, make
collaborative contributions to Debian, and build tighter community
bonds. Conference costs are largely funded by corporate sponsors who
find significant interest in supporting Debian and DebConfs.

DebConf includes Debian Day, being held on August 1st, when it opens
its doors to the general public. There will be talks and demonstrations
about the benefits of Debian and Free and Open Source software in
general to corporate, government, academic, and individual users.

We would love to see you join us at the conference, and if you are so
inclined we also have plenty of opportunities for volunteers [1].

Most importantly, we can use help getting out the word that we still
*NEED* a significant amount of additional funds [2]. Funds are used to
secure the venue, and to pay for food, lodging and travel for deserving
community participants.

DebConf10 donations may be tax-deductible to US taxpayers as charitable
contributions to the extent permitted by law; they are handled by Software
in the Public Interest, Inc., a tax-exempt public charity described under
section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.  Please contact your tax
advisor for more information.

We thank you for interest!

DebConf10 Local Team

[1] just introduce yourself at debconf10-localteam at lists.debconf.org or
     stop by #debconf-nyc on OFTC. Please see the following web page
     for details: http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf10
[2] Please see http://www.debian.org/News/2010/20100519 for further
    information. All questions should be directed to sponsors at debconf.org