[nylug-announce] NYLUG Presents: 4/21 @ 6:30PM Richard Kreuter on NoSQL and MongoDB, Relating to Non-Relational Databases

NYLUG Announcements info at nylug.org
Mon Apr 19 09:45:01 EDT 2010

Wednesday, April 21, 2010
6:30 PM - 8:00 PM
IBM
590 Madison Ave, 12th Floor
corner of 57th Street

*** RSVP Closes at 4:30 PM the day of the meeting (sharp!) ***
Please RSVP for EVERY meeting at this time.
Register at http://rsvp.nylug.org/
Check in with photo ID at the lobby for badge.

                               Richard Kreuter
                                   - on -
                         NoSQL and MongoDB, Relating
                         to Non-Relational Databases

This talk will introduce the whats and wherefores of the non-relational
database world (often called "NoSQL" databases), followed by a detailed
look at MongoDB, a dynamic, schema-free, document-oriented database.
Topics will include key-value stores, dynamo- and bigtable-descendants,
document-oriented databases, scaling strategies.  Databases to be discussed
include Memcached, Tokyo Cabinet, CouchDB, SimpleDB, Cassandra, Riak,
Voldemort, and MongoDB.

More information

  * MongoDB
    http://www.mongodb.org

  * Tokyo Cabinet
    http://1978th.net/tokyocabinet/

  * CouchDB
    http://couchdb.apache.org/

  * Memcached
    http://memcached.org/

  * Cassandra
    http://cassandra.apache.org/

  * Riak
    http://riak.basho.com/

  * Voldemort
    http://project-voldemort.com/

  * SimpleDB
    http://aws.amazon.com/simpledb/

About Richard Kreutzer
Bio: Richard Kreuter is a software engineer at 10gen, the sponsor of the
open source project MongoDB.  He has wrangled code in bioinformatics,
websites, compilers, airfare search, among other randoms.

Meeting Location:
  Please note that this meeting will be held at IBM, 590 Madison Ave,
  12th floor, corner of 57th Street, and not at Google.  This is
  the building with the IBM logo on the front of the building.

Map:
  http://nylug.org/mapofibm

Swag (Give Away):
  During/after the meeting... unusually terrific swag may be given
  away.

Stammtisch:
  After the meeting ... You may wish to join up with other NYLUGgers
  for drinks and pub food.  This month we'll be over at TGI Friday's
  (677 Lexington and 56th Street, Second floor, Northeast corner),
  but we are also evaluating other options for the future and welcome
  your suggestions.

  http://nylug.org/tgifridays

Time: 6:00pm
Duration: 2 hours
Location: NY Public Library Hudson Park Branch, 66 Leroy St., NY NY 10014

Topics:
  This week, we're going to continue looking at Smalltalk via Squeak.
  There may also be some discussion related to the C++ online workshop
  taking place on nylug-talk, and general discussion about Python.
  We'll be working through example code.

  Bring something to discuss! There's a blackboard, chalk, and Internet
  access.  Notebook computers are helpful but not required.
  All levels of Python experience from totally new to experienced welcome!

Resources:
  *  Squeak Smalltalk environment
     http://www.squeak.org/

  *  NYLUG-Talk list
     http://nylug.org/listinfo/nylug-talk/

Map & Directions:
  http://nylug.org/hackcalendar

  We meet in the basement. Enter the library and head to the back. If the
  door is closed when you arrive you can ask the manager of the library for
  the keys to the room if you're comfortable opening up the basement, or
  you can wait for some of the others to arrive.

  We will continue meeting on a bi-weekly basis at the Hudson Library at
  66 Leroy St New York, NY 10014.

  It is helpful, but not necessary to have a notebook computer.
  The WiFi at the library works now.

Mailing List:
  We have a mailing list!  Join it here:

  or send mail to: hack-request at nylug.org
  with a Subject: subscribe

  There is also an RSS feed for the workshop mailing list at:
  http://nylug.org/mlist/hack.rss

IRC Channel:
  On Freenode, in #nylug-python .  Stop by #nylug also.
  Next meetings are April 27, and May 11.
  See the calendar at: http://nylug.org/pythoncalendar

Please see our home page at http://www.nylug.org for the HTMLized
version of this announcement, our archives, and a lot of other good
stuff.