[nylug-announce] NYLUG September 24 Meeting: Subhendu Ghosh on Kdump/Kexec 6:00-8:00PM

NYLUG Announcements info at nylug.org
Tue Sep 16 19:20:33 EDT 2008

Wednesday, September 24, 2008
6:30pm-8:00 PM
IBM
590 Madison Ave, 12th Floor
corner of 57th Street

** RSVP Closes at 4:30pm the day of the meeting (sharp!) ***
Please RSVP for EVERY meeting at this time.
Register at http://rsvp.nylug.org/
Check in with photo ID at the lobby for badge.

                       Subhendu Ghosh of Red Hat
                               - on -
               Kexec/Kdump: Managing Linux Crash Dumps

  For a long time, Linux did not have a standard mechanism for capturing
  crash dumps.  Different distributions included different techniques.
  In the 2.6 kernels we finally have a common method for managing crash
  dumps using kexec and kdump.  This talk will describe the technologies
  involved and how to configure and manage a production environment to
  capture vmcores.

  Kdump is a new kernel crash dumping mechanism and is very reliable
  because crash dump is captured from the context of a freshly booted
  kernel and not from the context of the crashed kernel.  Kdump uses
  kexec to boot into a second kernel whenever the system crashes.  This
  second kernel, often called the capture kernel, boots with very little
  memory and captures the dump image.  The first kernel reserves a
  section of memory that the second kernel uses to boot.  Kexec enables
  booting the capture kernel without going through the BIOS hence
  contents of first kernel's memory are preserved, which is essentially
  the kernel crash dump.

About Subhendu Ghosh:
  Subhendu Ghosh is currently a Sr. Solutions Architect with Red Hat and
  has been involved in Open Source for a while, including as Project
  Admin for Nagios-Plugins.  Prior to Red Hat, Subhendu Worked at Qwest
  Communications and AT&T amongst other companies.  He previously
  presented to NYLUG in April 2008 on the Cobbler Provisioning System.

Meeting Location:
  Please note that this meeting will be held at IBM, 590 Madison Ave,
  12th floor, corner of 57th Street, and not at Google.  This is
  the building with the IBM logo on the front of the building.

More Information:
  * Kdump/Kexec:  http://lse.sourceforge.net/kdump/

Map:
  http://tighturl.com/m

Books!!!
  Our friends at Prentice-Hall kindly provide us with review copies
  of various new titles.  One of these could be yours, all you have
  to do is agree to review the book within a reasonable period of
  time.

Swag (Give Away):
  During/after the meeting... unusually terrific swag may be given
  away.

Stammtisch:
  After the meeting ... You may wish to join up with other NYLUGgers
  over at TGI Fridays located at 677 Lexington Avenue and 56th
  Street, second floor. Northeast corner.

Python Workshops:
  We are rounding up a group that wants to learn Python.  This would
  be a great time to attend our workshop.

  The workshops meet every other Tuesday, at the NY Public Library,
  Hudson Park Branch.  66 Leroy St. NY NY from 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
  Next meetings are September 30th followed by October 14th.
  See the calendar at: http://tighturl.com/fp

Please see our home page at http://www.nylug.org for the HTMLized
version of this announcement, our archives, and a lot of other good
stuff.