[nylug-announce] REMINDER: Hearing on Broadband in Downtown Brooklyn next Monday, January 10 from 2 PM to 5 PM, Polytechnic University.

Ron Guerin rguerin at nylug.org
Fri Jan 7 02:33:21 EST 2005

-------- Forwarded Message --------
From: 'Dolly Nielsen' <dolly at bway.net>
To: wwwac at lists.wwwac.org
Subject: [wwwac] [Fwd: REMINDER: Hearing on Broadband in Downtown
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 02:15:48 -0500 (EST)
Subject: REMINDER:  Hearing on Broadband in Downtown Brooklyn next Monday,
January 10 from 2 PM to 5 PM, Polytechnic University. From:    "Bruce Lai"
<bruce.lai at council.nyc.ny.us>
Date:    Thu, January 6, 2005 5:06 pm
To:

  Hello,

    I am informing all of you of the upcoming hearings that the
Committee on Technology in Government of the New York City Council is
holding.  If you can, please join us.  All events are open to the  general
public.  No RSVP is necessary.

*****

    On Monday, January 10th, 2005 from 2 PM to 5 PM, Dibner Auditorium,
Polytechnic University, 5 MetroTech, the Committee on Technology in
Government, chaired by Council Member Gale A. Brewer, will hold a  hearing
entitled, "Oversight: Is Brooklyn Business Suffering From A  Broadband
Gap?"

    * Here are the directions to Polytechnic University:
      http://www.poly.edu/brooklyn/directions.cfm?loc=bk&bn=bk
      <http://www.poly.edu/brooklyn/directions.cfm?loc=bk&bn=bk>.
    * Here is a map of the campus of Polytechnic University:
      http://www.poly.edu/brooklyn/brooklynmap.cfm?loc=bk&bn=bk.
      <http://www.poly.edu/brooklyn/brooklynmap.cfm?loc=bk&bn=bk>
          o The Dibner Auditorium is in Building C - Dibner Library /
            CATT Building - on the above map.

At this hearing, we will discuss the following:

    * Is there a "broadband gap" for Brooklyn businesses?
    * Does city government have a role in closing this gap, if it does
      indeed exist?
          o If so, what role should city government play?
    * What can incumbent wireline broadband providers do to close the gap?
    * Is wireless broadband an affordable broadband alternative for
      small and medium sized businesses?

Confirmed witnesses include:

    * Representatives from New York City's Department of Information
      Technology and Telecommunication (DoITT) and Economic Development
      Corporation (EDC);
    * Dianah Neff, Chief Information Officer (CIO) of the City of
      Philadelphia;
          o To learn more about Philadelphia's efforts, go to:
            http://www.phila.gov/wireless/.
    * Jonathan Bowles, Research Director, Center for an Urban Future;
          o To read Jonathan's recent broadband report, go to:
            http://www.nycfuture.org/images_pdfs/pdfs/NY_Broadband_Gap.pdf.
    * Small businesses and economic development organizations from Brooklyn;
    * Telecommunications / technology thinkers from Columbia University,
      New York University and Polytechnic University;
    * Verizon Communications and Time Warner Cable; and,
    * Wireless broadband providers, including Towerstream and Tropos
      Networks.

    Please feel free to publicize this event.

*****

    On Friday, January 28, 2005 at 10 AM, Committee Room, City Hall, the
Committee will hold a hearing.  Topic to be determined.

*****

    The Committee has a web page now. Go to:
http://www.nyccouncil.info/issues/committee.cfm?committee_id=106&ltsbdkey=5121.

    All briefing papers from the current session (beginning in January
2004) are available.

*****

    If you know of people who would be interested in the Committee on
Technology in Government's activities, please feel free to forward this
e-mail to them.  If you know of anyone who would like to receive these
e-mails, just have them e-mail me, and I will be put them on the list.
Finally, feel free to post this information on any listserve you may
belong to or on any website you are affiliated with.

    Thank you.  I look forward to seeing you at one of our hearings.

Regards,
Bruce Lai