[nylug-announce] Wednesday 8 January 2003 GNUbies: Sam Hiser on Open Office, the Free Jumbo Office Suite (fwd)

Jim Gleason jgleason at nylug.org
Wed Jan 8 18:44:18 EST 2003

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2003 03:03:26 -0800
From: Jay Sexpot Sulzberger <sexpot at zork.net>
To: jim at nylug.org
Subject: Wednesday 8 January 2003 GNUbies: Sam Hiser on Open Office,
     the Free Jumbo Office Suite

  from="official GNUbies announcement"
  edit-level="near zero">

We are pleased to announce that Sam Hiser will be speaking about
OpenOffice.org at the Gnubies meeting this Wednesday. Jan 8, 2003.

He plans to present an introduction to OpenOffice.org 1.0, the Free
Software* Office suite that has been getting so much attention as a
possible alternative to Microsoft Office and is considered to be one of
the key products in making the GNU/Linux desktop truly viable even for
those previously captive to Microsoft software.  It is currently available
for GNU/Linux, Solaris and Windows and is on its way to being fully
available for Mac OS X as well.  It is said to have most of the
functionality of Microsoft Office, to be able to handle its file formats
(apparently in some cases more so than versions of Microsoft Office
itself) and to even be superior in some ways.  It is often recommended as
the ideal first step in the transition from the Windows world to the world
of Free Software and GNU/Linux. He will answer your questions and can
discuss the OpenOffice.org Project itself as well.

And Sam Hiser is an ideal speaker to present OpenOffice.org 1.0 to
Gnubies.  He is a senior contributer and member of the Release Committee
of OpenOffice.org and a former Gnubies attendee from the days when we were
at CALC/Canterbury.  Details of the meeting, Sam Hiser's bio and links
including some to some of his articles can be found below.

As always the meeting is free and open to the public.  We hope you will
join us after the meeting for food/drinks at a local pub/restaurant.
Please note that IBM Security procedures listed below must be followed in
order to get into the building.

There will be some special treats at this meeting.  We will have free
software CDs and, if they arrive in time,  will have free passes to this
year's LinuxWorld as well.

GNUbies will be sharing the Unilug booth at LinuxWorld this year.  If you
are interested in helping out be sure to come to the meeting, or, if you
are unable to attend, email me to let me know of your interest and to tell
me your phone number.

Meeting Details:

Date:           Wednesday, January 8, 2003

6:30-7:00       General Questions and Answers

7:00            Presentation by Sam Hiser

on:             "Introduction to OpenOffice.org 1.0
                (the Free office suite for GNU/Linux,
                Solaris, Window, and soon Mac OS X)"

at:             the IBM building, 590 Madison Ave.
                (57th Street and Madison Avenue)

As always, the most up-to-date information can be found on our web page
http://www.gnubies.org (or, for now, http://www.eskimo.com/~lo/linux)

And, as always, we are grateful to IBM for their generous offer of space
for our meetings
Security Procedures:
To attend the meeting you need to bring a photo ID and provide us with
your full name (as it appears in the photo ID) in advance.  You can use
the mailto on the web page at http://www.gnubies.org, reply to this email
if you received it directly, or send email to lo+ibm0301 at eskimo.com with
the Subject of Jan 2003 Gnubies Meeting and with your name in the message.
We look forward to seeing you at the meeting.

Sam Hiser Bio:

Sam Hiser is an open source advocate and systems consultant to media,
financial services, government and education. and a senior contributor and
member of the Release Committee of OpenOffice.org, which is the largest
active open source software development project.

He left teaching middle-school English in the Bronx with NYC Teaching
Fellows to advise Sun Microsystems, Inc. on open source community
management and software marketing for the branded office suites
OpenOffice.org 1.0 and StarOffice 6.0.

Mr. Hiser has a business background where he was an analyst in corporate
finance and a securities analyst covering networking and semiconductor
stocks for the venerable tear-sheet publisher, Value Line Investment
Survey. His tech epiphany came around the time of AOL's millionth
subscriber and he spent the latter half of the 1990's doing start-up and
systems consulting, writing business plans and being CIO of a media
start-up called Reel America Inc., where he led his first
Windows-to-Linux transition and became a volunteer on the OpenOffice.org
Marketing Project.

He comes from the user's point of view. Some topics his talk may also
include are the promising growth in language translation (localization,
l10n) of the suite, and the future of the desktop in a world of cheap
hardware and wider appreciation of open standards. He sees a global
desktop market several magnatudes larger than today's in which
productivity is unleashed massively on the local level by sub-commodity
software: Linux, Mozilla, OpenOffice.org x.0 (along with its branded
derivatives), andone good PIM.

Today Mr. Hiser consults with Sun Microsystems, Inc. on community
management and marketing for OpenOffice.org 1.0 and StarOffice 6.0 and
he is Sysadmin of the Living Room in a household of seven (including 4
animals of various sizes and desktop capabilities). Mr. Hiser has a BA
in English Literature from St. Lawrence Uiversity and an MBA from Duke
University.

Mr. Hiser speaks frequently to students, parents and educators about
free software, Linux, Mac, Windows and thin-client deployments. His work
on open source development has appeared in Linux Journal, c|net,
ZDNet.com, NewsForge.com and slashdot.org.

Some links from last fall (progress has been made since then) starting
with two links from our speaker:

A Newsforge inverview with Sam Hiser:
OpenOffice.org as a 2-year-old: Still aiming to catch MS Office
http://newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=02/10/15/1459259&mode=thread&tid=11

A Linux Journal article by Sam Hiser
OpenOffice.org Project Update

OpenOffice.org gives MS Office a run for no money
http://techupdate.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t481-s2126606,00.html

The OpenOffice.org website
http://www.openoffice.org/

NewsNow links:
http://www.newsnow.co.uk/cgi/NewsNow/NewsNow.htm?Search=openoffice

Again we look forward to seeing you at the meeting.

Lyn
Gnubies
The GNU/Linux/Free OS Beginners' Group

*Actually it is dual licensed, with one of the licences the GPL

Distributed poC TINC:

Jay Sulzberger <secretary at lxny.org>
Corresponding Secretary LXNY
http://www.lxny.org