[nylug-announce] Thursday 1 May 2003 Special UNIGROUP Field Trip (fwd)

Jim Gleason jgleason at nylug.org
Tue Apr 29 06:24:40 EDT 2003

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 11:55:35 -0700
From: Jay Sexpot Sulzberger <sexpot at zork.net>
To: jim at nylug.org
Subject: Thursday 1 May 2003 Special UNIGROUP Field Trip

  from="official UNIGROUP announcement"
  edit-level="zero">

**NOTE: SPECIAL FIELD TRIP MEETING, AND ON A SPECIAL DATE...

UNIGROUP OF NEW YORK APRIL 2003 ANNOUNCEMENTS

1. UNIGROUP'S APRIL 2003 GENERAL MEETING ANNOUNCEMENT

      When:  Thursday, May 1st, 2003  (Yes, April Meeting on May 1st)

     Where:  Hewlett Packard
             NY Metro Office
             2 Penn Plaza             <==(ONE-TIME FIELD TRIP MEETING)
             Midtown, NYC
             YOU MUST RSVP TO GET PAST SECURITY, SEE BELOW!

      Time:  6:00 PM - 6:15 PM  Registration
             6:15 PM - 6:30 PM  Unigroup Business, Q&A
             6:30 PM - 6:55 PM  Tour of HP's Systems Demo Room
             6:55 PM - 8:00 PM  Main Presentation

     Topic:  HP/UX and True64 Unix Futures
             Adaptive Infrastructure (tentative)

   Speaker:  Marty Poniatowski,
             HP  <http://www.hp.com>

   Introduction:
   -------------

   More information concerning meeting specifics will follow.
   We had send the announcement today in order to give you a full
   week's notice.

   Note that this meeting is a Field Trip Meeting at HP's
   facilities.  This meeting also is on a special day and has
   different starting and ending times.  The schedule of
   times listed above is subject to change, as we re-allocate
   our schedule between registration, systems demos and main
   presentation.

   Also note, in addition to this Field Trip meeting, we still
   expect to hold our regularly scheduled May 15th meeting, at
   our normal meeting location.  The April meeting wound up slipping
   into May due a variety of reasons, which include: avoiding
   tax time, various holidays and speaker/facility unavailability.

   SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS:
   ---------------------

   * IN ORDER TO PASS THROUGH SECURITY, WE NEED YOU TO RSVP
   * PRIOR TO THE MEETING DAY, SO WE CAN GET YOUR NAME ON THE ATTENDEE
   * LIST.  ADVANCE REGISTRATION AND PHOTO ID ARE REQUIRED!
   * RSVP DEADLINE 30-APR-2003 16:00.  <<<< PAY ATTENTION, DEADLINE!
   * Keep an eye out on the deadline date and time, as it may change.

   Please RSVP if you know you are attending or if you think you may
   be attending.  This will help us arrange for a letter to security
   for all of Unigroup.  It will also help us to determine the correct
   amount of food and refreshments.

   To REGISTER for this event, please RSVP by:

   a) If at all possible, please use the Unigroup Registration Page:
         http://www.unigroup.org/unigroup-rsvp.html
      This will allow us to have some automation in the RSVP process.

   b) If you must Email us, send an EMail containing the FIRST and
      LAST NAMEs of the persons attending to the Unigroup RSVP
      address:
         unigroup-rsvp at unigroup.org
      The Email subject should start with "RSVP".
      You may optionally include your contact phone number (that
      day) or other current information.

      DO NOT simply reply to this Email, sending us back the entire
      announcement (we already have it); leaving the subject as it
      was, and NOT containing the phrase "RSVP" as requested.  In
      that case, your message just looks like failed mail and it
      makes it impossible to automate the RSVP process and get
      you registered for our event.

      ALSO: Do NOT give us an Email address which is over quota,
      cannot receive any new Email, or which requires our automated
      shell scripts to respond in some manner to YOUR InBox's
      anti-spam efforts which try to confirm that our shell scripts
      are human beings.  All of this causes us to receive bounces
      from your address when we send out the RSVP-ACKs, which will
      cause us to remove your address from our lists.
      You must have a working and valid Email address in order
      to get on the Unigroup Meeting Attendee List, which will
      grant you access to our meetings.  Be sure to proof-read
      your Email address before submitting the RSVP request.

   Please continue to check the Unigroup web site:
        http://www.unigroup.org
   for any last minute updates concerning this meeting.  Please
   check your Email for any last minute announcements prior to the
   meeting.  Note that only the Attendee First and Last Names will
   be provided to Security.

   Description of Talk:
   --------------------

   Meeting details to follow.  Also keep an eye on the meeting page
   at our web site.  Prior to the main presentation, we are trying to
   arrange a guided tour of HP's Systems Demo Room, where we can see
   and learn about HP's State-of-the-Art technology solutions for
   Unix/Linux Computing, Networking and Data Storage (SANS, etc).

   Web Resources:
   --------------

   HP Unix                 http://www.hp.com/go/unix
   HP Linux                http://www.hp.com/go/linux

   Giveaways:
   ----------

   O'Reilly has been kind enough to provide us with some of their
   books, which we will raffle off as giveaways at our meetings.
   (I received a nice collection of Python books right after our
   Python meeting - Thanks O'Reilly).  There may possibly be some
   other giveaways from HP as well.

   Speaker Biography:
   ------------------

   To be announced.  Marty is a member of HP's technical staff and
   he has authored several books on the topic of HP/UX and Clustering.

   Company Biography:
   ------------------

   To be announced.  HP information can be found at http://www.hp.com.

   Fee Schedule:
         Yearly Membership (includes all meetings):      $ 50.00
       * Non-Member Single Meeting:                      $ 20.00
         Student Yearly Membership:                      $ 20.00
         Non-Member Student Single Meeting (with ID):    $  5.00
         Payment Methods: Cash, Check, American Express.

       * Employees of JPM/Chase (with ID) can attend general
         meetings at NO CHARGE.

    ==>  Unigroup is the Greater NYC Regional Area Affiliate
         of UniForum - an International Unix Users Group.
         Our Joint Membership Program with UniForum is currently
         on hold due to circumstances at UniForum.  For information
         about UniForum visit http://www.uniforum.org.

   Complimentary Food and Refreshments will be served.
   HP will be sponsoring and providing the food.

   Please mark this meeting on your calendar and join us!
   Please tell your friends about Unigroup!

   --------------------
2. UNIGROUP INFORMATION
   --------------------

   Unigroup is one of the oldest and largest Unix User's Groups serving
   the Greater New York City Regional Area since the early 1980s.  Unigroup
   is a not-for-profit, vendor-neutral and member funded volunteer
   organization.  Unigroup holds regular and special event meetings
   throughout the year on technical topics relating to Unix and the Unix
   User Community.  Unigroup is also the Greater NYC Regional Area Affiliate
   of UniForum - an International Unix Users Group.

   Thanks to Chase, Unigroup holds regular meetings planned for the Third
   THURSDAY of Odd Months at The Chase Manhattan Bank, 1CMP, NYC.
   Chase has been a long time sponsor of Unigroup, allowing us the use of
   a meeting room and presentation equipment.

   Planned meeting dates are: 5/1/2003, 5/15/2003, 7/17/2003, 9/18/2003...
   Watch for our Special Event meetings at the various trade shows in NYC
   as well as "field trips" to the facilities of local hardware and
   software vendors.

   = For Unigroup Information, Events and Meeting Announcements be sure to =
   = visit our World Wide Web Home Page:                                   =
   =       http://www.unigroup.org                                         =

   For further information or to get on the Unigroup Electronic Mail Mailing
   List send an EMail message to:
        unilist at unigroup.org

   To contact the Board of Directors of Unigroup, send an EMail message to:
        uniboard at unigroup.org

   To contact the Newsletter Editor, send an EMail message to:
        editor at unigroup.org

   If you have recently attended a meeting and you are not receiving
   Email announcements, please send us an Email and we will make
   corrections to our lists.

   Please Email the Board with any suggestions, especially potential
   meeting topics and speakers.  Unigroup welcomes contributions and
   content suggestions for our newsletter.  Unigroup is a volunteer
   organization and we need your assistance!  Please let us know if you
   can help!

I hope to see you all at our next meeting!

-Rob Weiner
 Unigroup Executive Director
 unilist at unigroup.org
 http://www.unigroup.org