[nylug-announce] Wednesday 9 April 2003 GNUbies: PHP Introduction by Daniel Kushner. Also some announcements of other events. (fwd)

Jim Gleason jgleason at nylug.org
Tue Apr 8 11:27:02 EDT 2003

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 01:28:33 -0700
From: Jay Sexpot Sulzberger <sexpot at zork.net>
To: jim at nylug.org
Subject: Wednesday 9 April 2003 GNUbies: PHP Introduction by Daniel
    Kushner.  Also some announcements of other events.

  from="official GNUbies announcement"
  edit-level="light">

Here is the information on the next GNUbies meeting, an upcoming
installfest and a free IBM technical briefing for developers.

We are pleased to announce that this coming Wednesday, April 9, 2003 our
GNUbies meeting will be an Introduction to PHP by Daniel Kushner.  Some of
you may have been expecting it to be on Sendmail & mail again, but we can
have that meeting at a later date.  Some people interested in Sendmail
won't be able to come this month and others have expressed interest in
having a PHP meeting at this time.  Also it is particularly good timing for
a talk on PHP at this time since there will be some interesting PHP related
events in the New York area late this month.  And, of course, we are
fortunate that Daniel Kushner is available to give an Introduction to PHP
for Gnubies at this time.

Daniel Kushner has been working for over five years with PHP.  While
working at Zend Technologies (www.zend.com), the company behind PHP, Daniel
led the PHP Team, building a corporate E-Commerce solution and complete CRM
that would assist Zend in delivering its integrated software solutions to
PHP developers globally.

Upon the completion of his B.Sc. at the Interdisciplinary Center Hertzlia
Israel (www.idc.ac.il), Daniel moved to New York and brought with him vast
knowledge of a winning combination - PHP and Computer Science.

In 2002, Daniel joined Hans Zaunere, the founder of New York PHP, and
became the group's Vice President.  New York PHP is a professional group
dedicated to the development and support of PHP and AMP Technology.

As well as devoting much of his time to this group, Daniel functions as the
Senior Software Engineer at Oddcast Technologies (www.oddcast.com),
bringing Open Source technology to the corporate environment.

Of course, as always, the meeting is free and open to the public.  We are
grateful to IBM for providing us with the space for our meetings.  In order
to hold meetings at IBM it is necessary to follow their security procedures
(see below).

As always, the most up-to-date information can be found at our website at
http://www.gnubies.org (reachable at http://www.eskimo.com/~lo/linux.)

April 2003 GNUbies Meeting:

Date: April 9, 2003

Q&A:  From 6:30 to 7:00 pm
      General Questions and Answers

Presentation: from 7:00 pm
      Introduction to PHP
      by Daniel Kushner
      the IBM building, 590 Madison Ave.
      (57th Street and Madison Avenue)

After the meeting you can join us and speak further with our speaker at a
nearby Pub/Restaurant.  It would be very helpful if you could also let us
know if you will be joining us there so that the space can be put aside.

IBM Security Procedures:
(implemented after September 11, 2001)
For IBM security you need to bring a photo ID to present at the front
desk, and you need to email us in advance with your full name (as it
appears on the ID).  If you are receiving this directly from GNUbies, you
can simply reply replacing the content with your full name, you can
send email consisting of our full name to lo+ibm0304 at eskimo.com, or you
can use the link on our website at http://www.gnubies.org (reachable at
http://www.eskimo.com/~lo/linux.)

We look forward to seeing you at this meeting.

Installfest:
As you may realize, there are now monthly Installfests.  The next
installfest is tentatitively set for Sunday, April 20th at 16 West 32nd
St.on Sunday April 20, 2003 there will be an announcement shortly
before the meeting and it will be announced on our website.  Please don't
forget to backup any important information and check out your hardware
before any installfest where you will want to install a new operating
system.

Installfest:
      Date (subject to change):
      Sunday, April 20th, 2003
      from 11:00am to 4:00pm

Location:
      at 16 West 32nd Street

We look forward to seeing you at our meetings.

(See below for IBM announcement for developers.)

Gnubies
The GNU/Linux/Free OS Beginners' Group

IBM Announcement:
Dear developer,

You are invited to learn about the open standards-based initiatives behind
Web services, hear about the latest Web services enabled products from IBM,
and preview future product and technology roadmaps.  This IBM Technical
Briefing on Web services is coming to New York on April 22nd from 9am to
5pm.

Where:  New York Marriott Marquis, 1535 Broadway, New York, NY  9:00 -
5:00

There is no charge to attend this event, but space is limited, so register
today by visiting http://ibm.com/developerworks/offers/techbriefings

Attendees will receive trial versions of IBM tools and middleware products
that support Web services, and a collection of tutorials and articles that
explain in detail the latest developments in Web services.  Attendees at
the North America events will also receive a free t-shirt.

Course highlights:
Build and deploy Web services in the on-demand era using IBM tools and
middleware:
*Develop a Web service with WebSphere Studio Application Developer V5.
*Expose Java components as Web services using WSDL.

Learn about:
* Security and reliability in a Web services world.
* Business processes and transactions for Web services.
* Emerging Web services technologies -- BPEL, WSIL, WSUI, etc.

Web services best practices:
* Technical customer scenarios and demonstrations.

Agenda for the Technical Briefing:
* Web services in the on-demand Era
* Web services: Connection (SOAP, UDDI, WSDL,  ...)
* Web services Development Productivity (WebSphere Studio Application
Developer 5.0)
* Choosing the Right Foundation (WebSphere SDK for Web Services 5.0,
WebSphere Application Server 5.0, WebSphere / .NET Interoperability)
* Making Web services Secure (Web services Security Roadmap)
* Business Processes and Transactions for Web services (BPEL4WS, TX, C;
WebSphere BI, WebSphere MQ)
* Web services for Information Integration (DB2 Universal Database)
* Web services Best Practices: Technical Customer Scenarios
* Developer Programs, Resources and Portals

Prerequisites
Attendees are expected to be familiar with HTML, Java, XML basics, and
basic networking concepts.

Continue to visit http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/offers/techbriefings/
for a list of cities and dates and to register for The Technical Briefings
on Web services and e-business on demand Competitive Technical Briefing.

Please distribute this invitation to anyone who you feel may be interested
in attending this seminar.

Sincerely,
-- The IBM developerWorks team
http://www.ibm.com/developerWorks